Monday, July 27, 2015

I Am the Death of the Black African American



I don’t like when people call me racist.  How is recognizing and accepting one’s identity being racist?  Racism, as much as we hate to admit it, is a core component of our society’s foundation.  So to speak of one’s identity without speaking of race is extraordinarily difficult and frustrating.  When I walk down the street, people see a non-black.  But I was raised to say something to the effect of ‘I identify as African American.’  This is an inherently confusing situation to suffer through, let alone to try and explain to people why I think the way I do about interracial breeding.  Let’s face it, as much as science tries to write off race as a ‘fiction,’ differences between ‘groups of people’ materialize; race happens to be an easily recognizable difference between groups of people.  It is even a part of biological science that race is a trait found in our chromosomes, and it just so happens that the trait of dark skin is a dominant trait, and the trait for light skin is a recessive trait.  All I’m trying to say about interracial breeding is why weaken your bloodline?  If you’re smart enough to know you ‘love’ somebody, then why can’t you be smart enough to know that you’re killing yourself when you ‘love’ outside your race?  We are talking about romantic love too, because let me tell it, and we are all supposed to love one another.  But romantic love is beyond Platonic love; romantic love is the idea people are meant to be together.  What does it mean to be ‘meant for each other?’

I don’t think I’m personally going to find out the answer to that question, but in the meantime, know this:  Every day I look in the mirror I do see the death of the black African American community.  I am no longer black but am African American still, and I feel all the pain of being African American without being black.  I am not considered black by most if not all of society, yet I have to deal with the agonizing forces of privileged versus non-privileged people.  Put me up against a dark skinned person, and it’s all about what they can do better than me.  Put me up against a light skinned person, and it’s all about my shortcomings.  I am never valued just for being myself.  Most people know who or what they are because people tell them.  Not as labels, but just to let them know, so they won’t have to wander around life surrounded by mysteries and secrets.  What a concept.  I, on the other hand, have no idea what I’m good at, have no idea who I am, and what’s worse is that nobody cared to tell me before and they still don’t care to tell me now.  On top of not looking like the race and ethnicity that I am.  So in a racial, capitalist society, I am basically a ghost.  I mean like, literally a ghost, and not just because of my complexion.

So when I rant against interracial breeding, I am pleading for understanding that it’s not about you, it’s about your kids.  You didn’t have to grow up in our society looking one race and actually being another.  You didn’t have to explain to the ever so curious human being ‘what are you mixed with?’  And don’t blame the curiosity.  It’s part of the fabric of our society to be racial and ethnically motivated, and there really isn’t anything wrong with it, if we could have some order about ourselves in our treatment of the subject.  I am not racist, that is my story and I’m sticking to it.  I don’t believe one race or ethnicity is better or worse than others; it is a scientific fact though that dark skin is a dominant gene and light skin is a recessive one.  If you don’t believe me ask my high school biology teacher.  She’s really smart.  And she let me open a pig’s skull and look at its brain too.

About Interracial Breeding in Our Society (please read past the part about Derrida to get to the interracial breeding part)

No comments:

Post a Comment